More Allergy Facts
Did you know?
- One in three Britons has an allergy.
- A child goes to hospital with asthma every 19 minutes.
- 40,000 children born each year have a nut allergy.
- Hospital admissions for anaphylaxis are five times higher than in 1990.
- Between 1990 and 2003, 49,000 people were admitted to hospital with severe allergic reactions.
- There are 15 million hay fever sufferers in UK.
- There are 20 confirmed cases of Aquagenic Urticaria (severe allergy to water) in the UK.
- There are 100 confirmed cases of Human Seminal Plasma Hypersensitivity (allergy to sperm).
- Eight foods account for 90% of allergic reactions. They are: peanuts, tree nuts (including walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios and pecans), fish, shellfish, eggs, milk, wheat and soy.
- An estimated 10% of people in the UK suffer from some degree of Polymorphic Light Eruption (allergy to the sun).